Thursday, September 3, 2015

How to bounce back from dissapointment

As you could see in my previous post, my last marathon did not go as planned, or should I say as I hoped, because I did not really have a plan for this one. Which also means that I am not really that dissapointed. The race was a good eye opener for me, it gave me a reality check as to where my Heart Rate is at as well as how I need to improve my training for future race. I took the Monday off running as I was traveling back from my destination marathon, but also because my legs were seriously sore. On Tuesday I went out for a short "recovery run" which was ok, the first KM seriously hurt but then the muscles got less stiff and I started to run more freely, without pushing the pace at all. I came home happy that I went for a run (as I always feel after) however there wasn't much to cheer about. Wednesday I went out and really wanted to push it, there is a Strava segment right near my house, which I wanted to get a new PR on, which I did if I compare my times, however for some reason Strava did not recognize the segment, however I ran my best KM time, best Mile, best 400m and best 0.5 Mile. So that was something to feel good about and get the spirits up again. Thursday I went for a 5KM run, which started really slow, but instead of taking a walking break which ym head wanted to do, I told myself to do strides every time I got tired and then continue running, I finished the 5KM without a single walking break and getting progressively faster on ever KM throughout, finishing with a 5:07. Friday I am taking a rest as I am planning a medium long run tomorrow morning. Overall this week has been alright in regards to running. I have realized that I can indeed still run fast, and that I need to start doing so more if I want to improve. I also realized that if I can run a 3:36KM 3 days after a marathon I can probably run a good bit faster than that as well and will be working on building proper speed work and tempo into my training week. I guess this post is meant to highlight that instead of trotting along feeling sorry about the race that was and perhaps did not go 100% jump back on the horse, enjoy the run and sometimes through in a run in which you give everything and just see what happens, you will come back home and feel that little victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment