Sunday, August 2, 2015

River Run Saigon

I finally ventured out and tried a new running route as well, its not quite Venice, but hey its a pretty nice run.


On Saturday I decided to go on a run with a German friend of mine, it was raining in buckets which had advantages as well as disadvantages, more on that later. We started at City Garden Apartments which is where my mate lives, so the first Kilometer is through little Alleys which are full of vegetable and meat vendors, which is really interesting if you have never seen something like it before.

after that you have to cross a major road on a bridge, which is the only part of this route I wouldn't recommend, but you can easily start from the other side. After that the route becomes very easy and is fully customisable

Basically you just follow the river, there is a nice public garden all along the river, so you are not running directly on the road, you are running with the river on your right shoulder and the garden on your left shoulder, not something you get to say too often in Ho chi Minh city.  There are a few workout machines such as these :
Along the river, which if they are in use can make for a tight squeeze, that's what I meant with it being a good thing that it rained before, because no one was using them.

The run itself was great, I felt much stronger than I have in a while, I didn't really feel too fatigued, my HR didn't spike and I was able to hold a conversation while running, all of which felt great. 

The sidewalk is in pretty good condition, there are a few times when it dips a little bit, which you would normally not notice, however because it had rained and was still raining, a few puddles had formed. The route is great because there is a bridge about every 750 meters, which you can cross to turn around and run back on the opposite site, this means this run can be anywhere from 2K all the way up to 20K without having to run the same route twice. 


Call for comments:

  • Please let me know if you have run this route before, and know any great places along the way? 
  • want to join up for a run together?
  • any other runs you can recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment